Getting permanent lip liner is pretty cool, right? It’s a quick and easy way to enhance the look of your lips and correct asymmetries. But what if you get bored and wanna remove it? Or what if your lip tattoo goes wrong? Lip line tattoo removal is a possible and easy process these days. Luckily, there are some great methods that you can try to effectively remove your lip line tattoo.
In this article, I will include the best lip line tattoo removal methods to help you get rid of that unwanted pigment, what lip line tattoo is, what to do before the procedure, the best DIY methods, and more FAQs.
What Is Lip Line Tattoo?
Lip line tattoo, also known as permanent lip liner, is a popular form of permanent makeup that gives your lips more definition, enhances the shape of your lips, makes them look younger, and corrects imperfections.
If your lips are asymmetric or the border of your lips starts to flatten with time, a lip line tattoo can fix this. Also, if the natural color of your lips starts to fade out, a lip line tattoo and lip blush can give your lips a perfect tint of color.
The procedure is done by using an electric needle device that injects the color around the border of the lips.
It must be performed by a professional and skilled PMU artist to get an even and perfect line.
It’s highly recommended by PMU artists to get a lip line tattoo and lip blush for the best results, Lip blush is another cosmetic technique that gives the lips a nice wash of color that lasts long.
Best Methods Of Lip Line Tattoo Removal:
If you don’t like your lip line tattoo anymore or if you’re not happy with the results, you can easily try one of the following methods to remove it efficiently.
Lip line tattoo removal methods include:
1- Laser Removal
Laser lip line tattoo removal is the most popular and effective method that is recommended by many PMU artists.
The procedure is done by using a laser device that produces a laser beam that penetrates the skin and breaks down the pigment into smaller particles so your body can get rid of them.
The scavenger cells in your body will capture those particles and extract them out of your system.
You will need more than one session to break down the pigment. It takes 5-8 sessions to remove the pigment and each session takes approximately 45 minutes.
Also, you must know that there should be a recovery time between each session (6-8 weeks) to keep the lip area healthy and prevent further problems.
There are different laser technologies (machines) that can work effectively in removing lip tattoo styles such as the Q Switched (QS) machine and the Picosecond (PS) machine.
The PS laser technology is the best and the most efficient tattoo removal technology that reduces discomfort and guarantees complete removal.
This technology used short yet powerful bursts to break down the pigment completely so your body can get rid of it.
The procedure is more comfortable as the PS laser treatment uses photoacoustic impact waves instead of photothermal ones that could cause discomfort and hyperpigmentation.
The laser lip line tattoo removal method is usually safe when it’s performed by a professional technician who knows the right techniques.
Make sure to find a skilled technician as this treatment is a specialized technique that needs experience.
The cost of each session varies from one clinic to another but it’s usually around 215$.
The price also depends on the laser technology that will be used, your location, and how deep the pigment is injected.
- People with dark skin tones who tries this method are at higher risk of scarring and hyperpigmentation.
- The lip color will turn black for a few weeks as Lip line tattoo pigments contain titanium dioxide which is a white pigment used in different formulas to give your lips a brighter base. The laser method causes oxidation to this pigment and it turns into bluish, greyish, or black color. This color will eventually disappear but some people may not like this!
2- Saline Removal
This method is performed by opening up the skin with a machine and injecting a saline solution over the unwanted pigment.
This solution will lift the pigment to the surface of the skin. And scabs will start to form on the lip area then they will fall off taking the unwanted pigment with it.
You will need several sessions to get rid of the pigment completely. Some people prefer this method to avoid the darkening of the lips caused by laser treatments.
In general, it’s a safe method. However, opening up the skin can lead to scarring or infection.
You will need to be extra careful during the healing process, if you don’t follow an aftercare routine, you could get an infection due to the wounds on your lips.
The cost of the saline lip line tattoo removal depends on your location and the clinic you choose. Each session costs usually around 250$.
- You may develop an allergic reaction so you need to perform a patch test first.
- You may get an infection as there are minor cuts on your lips.
- You’ll go through a scabbing phase.
This method can help remove lip line tattoos and other cosmetic tattoos. The technician starts by numbing or freezing the lip area then he/she uses an abrasive brush to exfoliate away the unwanted pigment.
It technically removes the skin layers that contain the pigment by creating a raw wound along the area. This will help you get rid of the pigment completely.
This technique needs a very skilled technician to perform the procedure efficiently without causing further problems.
It could be a safe method If it’s done by a professional and experienced technician. However, this technique could cause scarring.
In fact, most specialists don’t recommend this technique as the rate of scarring from this treatment is much higher than other methods.
Each session costs around 250$, keep in mind that the price varies from one place to another depending on your location and how skilled the technician is.
- Dermabrasion could lead to scarring.
- Your lips may get an infection due to the wound that method causes.
4- Surgical Excision
This method is performed by a plastic surgeon who cuts out an amount of the lip that contains the pigment. The surgeon must be experienced and skilled so he/she doesn’t cause deform to the area.
This method is not the best option for you, it should be your last resort. This means you should not do it unless your doctor thinks it’s an invasive procedure.
Additionally, the surgical excision method could be less expensive than laser treatment. But laser treatments are more recommended by experts.
The procedure must be done by a skilled plastic surgeon who knows exactly what he’s doing to avoid deformity.
- It causes more pain than the other methods.
- You will need a longer time to fully recover.
- You may develop an infection if you don’t have a good aftercare routine.
Want To Get More Information About Different Permanent Makeup Forms?
What Should You Do Before Lip Line Tattoo Removal Process?
Before the procedure, you should:
- Choose a reputable clinic to remove the lip tattoo safely.
- Check the possible methods to remove the lip tattoo with an expert so you choose the best one for you.
- Make sure the tools that will be used during the procedure are sanitized.
- If you go with the laser method, make sure to find a skilled dermatologist who knows the right techniques to remove tattoos.
- If your lip line tattoo goes wrong, don’t remove it right after getting it, you will need to wait until the area is fully healed, about 2 months.
How To Get Rid Of Lip Tattoos Naturally?
There are some methods that you can try at home to get rid of your lip line tattoo but keep in mind those methods would take a long time and may not give you the best results.
Those methods include:
- Use lip scrubs as they can speed up color fading.
- Apply skincare products that contain acids or retinol to the lip area, they will exfoliate the area and make the color fade faster.
- Combine salt and lemon juice to make a paste and apply to your lips for 30 minutes, This could cause irritation and discomfort.
- Mix 3 tbsp of salt, 2 tbsp of honey, and 3 tbsp of aloe vera juice and apply the mixture to the lip area for 20-30 minutes then rinse with water.
- Mix salt and a bit of water and rub the lip area so the salt goes underneath the surface of the skin and breaks down some of the pigment. This one is pretty close to the saline removal method which makes it the best DIY lip line tattoo removal.
Can Permanent Lip Color Be Removed?
Yes. Lip blush removal and lip line tattoo removal can be done effectively nowadays. There are possible methods that you can try to get rid of that permanent lip color like laser treatment, saline removal, dermabrasion, and surgical excision.
How Long Does It Take For A Lip Tattoo To Dissolve?
Each case is different but on average Lip tattoos last 2-3 years with no need to touch up. Sometimes, it may last up to 5 years depending on how deep the pigment is injected and the saturation of the color. Also, it may start to fade after a year and you will need to book a touch-up appointment.
Do Lip Tattoos Fade Completely?
Yes. Lip tattoos fade completely with time, it takes 2-3 years for the pigment to dissolve as your body produces new skin cells while older skin cells slough off.
How Do You Remove Lip Blush At Home?
One of the most effective DIY lip tattoo removal methods is salt exfoliation. What you need to do is to exfoliate the lip area with salt and some water to bind the unwanted pigment and lift it out of the skin.
The grains of salt will penetrate the skin and dissolve some of the pigment. This method works but it will take some time and may cause infections.
Lip line tattoo removal methods can help you remove the pigment that you don’t like anymore.
There are 4 possible lip line tattoo removal methods but laser treatment is the most recommended one by experts due to its effectiveness.
Check out the best lip line tattoo removal methods I mentioned above and let me know down below in the comments what you think!