Permanent makeup can save the day and make many people’s lives a lot easier as they don’t have to wake up super early to wear makeup, instead, they will jump out of bed looking beautiful and ready for the day. Permanent lip liner is the new trend that will make your face look fresh all day and enhance your natural beauty.
Some people would prefer to get permanent lip liner, permanent eyeliner, lash lifts, and eyebrow microblading so they don’t have to waste their time every day wearing makeup.
Also, many celebrities like the idea of permanent makeup and choose it over regular makeup like Megan Fox, Michelle Williams, and Jenna Dewan
So in this article, I will include everything you need to know about permanent lip liner, what it is, the benefits of getting it, how it’s done, the cost, the aftercare process, and more FAQs.
What Is Permanent Lip Liner?
Permanent lip liner, also known as a tattoo lip liner, is a cosmetic method that must be performed by a professional and certified permanent makeup artist.
The artist uses a small electric device that has a needle tip to implement the color around the border of your lips which will give them a fuller, more colorful, and youthful look.
It has two styles, clean line or shaded line, and you can pick what you prefer.
The clean line: you can get it if you will wear lipstick that is identical to your permanent lip liner each day.
Don’t worry, the permanent liner will not appear as a line, instead, it will give your lips more definition.
But still, the clean line will not blend into the lip with your lipstick or lip gloss that is not similar to the line color which will give your lips a harsh appearance.
The shaded line: The artist will draw the line and blend the color well towards the inside of the lips so no one would see a line, but a soft and natural look.
You don’t have to wear any lip makeup after getting it as it gives your lip a beautiful pop of color.
After getting permanent lip liner, you can also get your lips filled with color (Lip Blushing). This is usually recommended by most PMU artists.
Plus, you can choose the color you prefer. Some people would choose a bright-like lipstick color as it suits them more while others go with a natural everyday wear color.
Usually, choosing a natural color is more recommended as it will suit all occasions.
What Are The Benefits Of Permanent Lip Liner?
There are many benefits that you can gain from getting a permanent liner, including:
- Save you a lot of time when you’re busy.
- Last long, about 3-5 years.
- You don’t have to wake up an hour early to wear makeup.
- You don’t have to re-apply lipstick during the day.
- No melting or smudging.
- Make your lips look plumper.
- Keep your lips look as youthful as ever.
- Enhance the natural color of your lips.
- Correct imperfections.
- Hide scars.
- Make your lips appear symmetric.
- Prevent lipstick from settling into fine lines and wrinkles around your mouth or smearing your teeth.
- Enhance the shape of your lips.
- Make you feel more confident and comfortable in your own skin.
What To Do Before The Procedure?
Nothing much, really. However, if you’re taking a medication that interferes with the blood’s clotting actions like Aspirin, it’s best to consult your doctor before the procedure so he/she could tell you what to do.
Also, if you think you may develop an allergic reaction to the substance that will be used, talk to your doctor and inform the technician before the procedure.
How The Procedure Is Done?
The PMU artist will apply numbing cream to the area so you would feel little to no pain and reduce discomfort.
The artist starts by drawing an even line with a pencil around your lips and correcting the asymmetries. Then, he/she will use the electric device to implement the color and draw the line.
Drawing an even line is the most important factor here that guarantees the best results, if the line is not consistent in thickness, your lips will look crooked and asymmetric.
Also, the color must suit your natural lip color and your complexion too, to give your lips a natural definition.
A skilled technician can blend the color of the liner well so it will not look odd and anyone can easily notice it.
So the procedure must be done by a professional who knows the right techniques and uses the right tools.
Permanent Lip Liner Aftercare:
Right after the procedure, your lips will be swollen and you may experience redness and discomfort.
For the next two days, your lips may feel sore and swelling continues. You can use cold compresses to relieve swelling and reduce discomfort.
To Protect the area after the procedure:
- Avoid using cleansers or creams that contain acids as it will irritate the area and make the color fade faster.
- Avoid rubbing or picking at the area as this could lead to irritation and infections.
- Direct exposure to sunlight can cause irritation and discomfort and in the long run, it will lead to color fading.
- Don’t go out without applying sunscreen to the area to avoid fading and pigmentation.
- Don’t eat salty or spicy food for the first few days as this can burn the lip area and make it dry.
- It’s best not to kiss anyone for a week after the procedure to avoid infections.
Related: Tinted Lip Balm With SPF For Sensitive lips: Best 12 Picks
How Long Do Lip Tattoos Last?
This depends on the depth of the color and how much pigment is used. Usually, your permanent lip liner can last for 3-5 years with no need to retouch to refresh the color and shape of the line.
Who Should Get Permanent Lip Liner?
- People who love to wear lipstick, lipgloss, or lip liner but hate to reapply multiple times throughout the day.
- People who have a busy schedule but can’t go out without makeup.
- Older people whose lip color faded out or the border of their lips flatten over time.
- People who have visible asymmetries as a permanent lip liner can correct imperfections and fix this.
- People with poor eyesight: getting permanent lip liner will enhance the look of their lips with no need to apply more makeup.
Can I Wear Makeup With Permanent Lip liner?
Yes. You still can wear your favorite lipstick or lipgloss whenever you want. However, Getting permanent lip liner gives your lips a pop of color and more definition so you won’t have to wear lip makeup that much.
Does Permanent Lip Liner Hurt? Do Lip Tattoos Hurt?
The lip area is super sensitive that’s why the artist applies a numbing cream to the area before the procedure to reduce discomfort and cause little to no pain.
Is Permanent Lip Liner Safe?
A permanent lip liner procedure is generally safe if it’s performed by a skilled and certified PMU artist.
A professional artist would know the right way to draw the line, the best color to use to suit your natural lip color and complexion, the right thickness of the line, and the best tools to use. Also, he/she will work in a clean place to prevent infections.
Can Permanent Lip Liner Make Lip Look Bigger?
Yes. The main purpose of getting permanent lip liner is to make your lips look bigger, more defined, symmetrical, and younger. It also gives your lips a slight wash of color and enhances the size and shape of the lips.
How Much Is Permanent Lip Makeup?
The cost of permanent lip liner varies from one place to another, depending on the artist’s efficiency and the place you go. So on average, you can pay anywhere from 500$-1000$.
If you’re a super lazy person or have a busy life but love to wear lip makeup daily then permanent lip liner is the best option for you.
It will give your lips a natural look and make them appear fuller, younger, and more defined. Plus, it will leave a slight wash of color on your lips, Fascinating, right?
So check all the details I mentioned above about it and let me know when will you get it?