This post was originally published in October 2018. Updated in November 2022.
Having glowing radiant skin is not something easy to achieve. You will need to follow a good skincare routine, consume healthy food, and stay hydrated. Making a homemade face mask for glowing skin should be a regular part of your routine. It’s the solution to many skin issues including acne, scars, dark spots, redness, and pigmentation.
So, I brought to you eight different homemade face masks that you can try and choose the one that suits your skin needs the most.
Let’s dive deep into it…
1- Avocado & Vitamin E Oil Homemade Face Mask
- Half of an avocado.
- One tsp vitamin E oil.
- In a bowl, mas the avocado with a fork then add vitamin E oil to the avocado.
- Mix all the ingredients together well.
- Apply the mixture to your washed face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse with warm water.
This DIY face mask is beneficial for those with dry skin as it will leave your skin super smooth and hydrated.
- Avocados are rich in fatty acids and vitamins C, E, K, & B6. They can deeply nourish and moisturize your face, help you get rid of skin problems, and keep it looking healthy.
- Vitamin E Oil reduces the appearance of scars and diminishes marks. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce irritation, soften your face, and soothe the skin.
2- Oats & Coconut Oil DIY Mask For Acne-Prone Skin.
- 3 tbsp oats.
- 1/4 cup of water.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Mix all the ingredients well together.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Leave it for 15 minutes then gently rub it with your fingertips for another 5 minutes.
- After that, rinse with lukewarm water.
This homemade face mask is ideal for all skin types especially those with acne-prone skin as it can rebalance the pH level and repair and moisturize the skin.
- Oats are rich in proteins and lipids that can soften and moisturize your skin effectively. Oats can also reduce itching, skin damage, and inflammation due to their antioxidant properties.
- Coconut Oil is an excellent moisturizer and cleanser. It contains vitamin E and amino acids that can repair and soften your skin. Plus, coconut oil can prevent acne due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Furthermore, It can be used as a natural makeup remover.
3- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, And Honey Homemade Face Mask For Glowing Skin
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder.
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder.
- 2 tbsp honey.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your skin.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes then rinse off with water.
This mask is great for clearing breakouts, evening skin tone, and fighting acne. But it may not be suitable for sensitive skin as cinnamon may irritate the skin.
- Cinnamon has antibacterial and exfoliating properties which help prevent acne, remove dead skin cells, and keep the skin glowing. Cinnamon can also dry out pimples and improve skin complexion.
- Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pimples and heal scars caused by acne.
- Honey soothes your skin and fights acne
dueto its antimicrobial properties. Plus, it has antioxidant properties so, it can add glow to your skin and slow down aging.
4- Egg White Mask
- One egg white.
- Whisk it together then apply it to the T-zone area or the whole face.
- Leave it for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
Egg white shrinks and tightens pores and tones the skin. Also, it has the ability to tighten the skin which may help reduce wrinkles.
This face mask helps you get rid of puffiness under the eyes and remove dead cells and excess oil from the skin.
5- Homemade Face Mask For Clear, Bright Skin
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder.
- one tbsp rice flour or chickpea flour.
- 2 tbsp yogurt or coconut oil.
- 1/2 tbsp honey.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients well with a spoon.
- Use a makeup brush to apply a thin layer to your face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes then wipe your face with toner or makeup remover to get the yellow stain off your face.
- Turmeric reduces scars and fights acne due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Plus, it contains antioxidants that protect the skin from damage.
- Rice Flour smooths your skin and soothes sunburns due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a good choice for those with oily skin and acne-prone skin as it can control shine and absorb excess oils.
- Yogurt prevents free radicals from damaging the skin. And it helps reduce fine lines and smooth wrinkles if used regularly due to its anti-aging properties.
- Using coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil instead of yogurt can also help moisturize and nourish your skin especially if it’s dry.
- Honey is full of antioxidants that can soften your skin, smooth wrinkles, and fight acne. It also helps unclog pores and keep your skin clean.
6- Cocoa, Banana, And Honey Facial Mask
- One banana.
- One tablespoon of honey.
- One tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Mash the banana well in a small bowl.
- Then add the honey and cocoa and mix all the ingredients well together.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes then wash off your face with warm water.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, zinc, and vitamins A, B, C, and E which help moisturize dry skin, keep it supple, and reduce aging signs. They can also heal scars, fight acne, combat free radicals, and promote the production of collagen.
- Honey has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce itching and scarring and soothe the skin. It also has antibacterial properties that can fight acne and keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
- Cocoa is packed with iron, zinc, magnesium, copper, and vitamins A, K, & B12. So, it can moisturize your skin and heal scars. Cocoa contains also caffeine that helps keep the skin healthy and renew skin cells. Plus, it’s full of antioxidants that protect the skin from sun damage, reduce wrinkles, and soften your skin.
7- Simple Homemade Face Mask For Glowing Skin
- 2 tbsp strawberry powder.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil.
- Combine all the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
This face mask can cleanse the skin effortlessly while keeping it moisturized and soft. Strawberry is packed with vitamin C, polyphenols, and AHAs that can fight free radicals, brighten the skin, cleanse your face, and shrink pores.
Plus, coconut oil can soften the skin, prevent acne, and soothe irritation due to its anti-bacterial and emollient properties.
8- Aloe Vera & Honey DIY Face Mask
- 1 tbsp aloe vera gel.
- 1 tbsp raw honey.
- Combine the ingredients to create a paste.
- Apply the paste to your face.
- Leave it for 20 minutes then rinse with warm water.
Aloe vera gel and honey can help reduce inflammation and redness, soothe the skin, combat acne, and boost moisture. They have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help keep the skin healthy and glowing.
Homemade facial masks are super easy and simple as you can find most of the ingredients hidden in your kitchen cupboard or fridge.
But this doesn’t necessarily mean your skin will love it as some natural ingredients like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar may cause irritation and redness. Also, cinnamon may not suit all skin types and other ingredients may break out your skin.
So, all you have to do is to choose the right ingredients by checking with your dermatologists and performing a patch test first.
By trying different homemade facial masks, you will be an expert and know what’s best for your skin.
Keep in mind to test any face mask on a small part of your skin first to make sure that you are not allergic to any ingredient in the recipe.
The Bottom Line
These homemade face masks are super simple and affordable. They can help improve your skin health. Also, you’re not going to spend too much time preparing the mask.
It’s recommended to apply the mask to your face about 1-3 times a week to add glow to your skin and to keep it hydrated.