This post was originally published in June 2020. Updated in June 2022.
Do you think you have a big nose? well, welcome to the club, many people around the world especially, women believe that their noses are too big. Those women dream of getting a nose job but most of them are afraid they may not like the results. So, the question still is how to make your nose look smaller.
Luckily, there are several ways that can help make your nose look smaller without surgery.
Unfortunately, you may find some unhelpful remedies on the internet like using toothpaste or apple cider vinegar to make your nose appear slimmer.
They may also mention putting ice on your nose to shrink its size. Or doing facial exercises to shorten, sharpen, or narrow your nose. All these remedies won’t help as they can’t make your nose smaller.
But there are some helpful tricks that can actually work and make your nose look smaller such as:
How To Make Your Nose Look Smaller?
1- Choose The Right Hairstyle
You can use your hair to draw attention away from the center of your face.
You can wear your hair in a side parting instead of parting hair straight down the center. This helps to divert attention from your nose.
Also, having big curly hair or large waves can help distract attention from a big nose.
Bob haircuts make your nose appear smaller.
Moreover, You can add more volume to the back of your head to make facial features look softer.
Face-framing hairstyles make a large nose almost unnoticeable. Also, high ponytails or messy buns can draw attention away from your nose.
There are also some hairstyles you should not wear as they can make your nose look bigger like:
- Dark hair colors draw the focus towards your nose.
- Large bangs that cover the eyes.
- Tight sleek ponytails.
- Straight haircuts.
- Straight hairstyles.
- Center parts.
Avoid these hairstyles as they outline and emphasize the features of your face.
2- Wear Accessories
Accessories play an important role in making your nose smaller.
When you choose the best accessories that suit your face shape, you will divert attention away from a big nose. For example, Wearing large glasses can help make your nose look slimmer.
You can also wear long earrings and necklaces to distract attention from a big nose.
3- Wear Bright Lipsticks
Applying bright lipstick shades to your lips helps draw attention away from the center of your face.
Makeup artists recommend lining the outside of your lips with a nude lip liner first then filling the lip area with bright lipstick.
This helps define your lips and make the color shine more, and more importantly, make your nose smaller.
4- Shape Your Eyebrows
Thin eyebrows draw the focus towards your nose and make it appear larger or bigger.
It’s best to shape your eyebrows well and fill in bald spots carefully with a pencil or powder that is suitable for the color of your brows to distract attention from your nose.
5- Don’t Wear Heavy Eye Makeup
If you have a big nose, it’s best to wear soft natural-looking eye makeup. Heavy eye makeup can make your nose appear bigger.
Also, consider applying concealer under your eyes to cover dark circles if you have them. Dark circles can define your nose even more.
6- Apply Primer And Foundation
Now, How to make your nose look smaller with makeup? All you have to do is to apply matte primer to your face before wearing makeup to create a flawless base.
After using primer, apply a foundation that matches your skin tone to your face. Foundation can prevent shine by absorbing excess oil and keeping the skin looking even and smooth. This will definitely help make your nose smaller.
Using a highlighter can draw focus to certain features of your face. It can define the bones of your cheeks more or the tip of your nose.
The highlighter should be 1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone. Avoid shimmering highlighter because it rounds features that make your nose appear bigger.
So, you can use a creamy highlighter to reshape the look of a big nose. Draw with an angled brush a straight line down the center of the nose.
Then use a blending brush or your fingertips to blend and soften harsh edges. This helps to emphasize the focus on these points.
Contouring sculpts your face and draws attention to different areas of your face. It’s recommended to use a cream contour that is 1-2 shades darker than your skin tone.
So makeup can alter the dimensions of your face, contouring and highlighting can define your cheekbones and jawline and even make your eyes bigger.
Plus, they make your nose look smaller, straighter, shorter, or larger:
A. What To Use To Make Your Nose Look Thinner?
- Use an angled brush to draw two lines down the sides of your nose, starting from the brow bone to your nostrils.
- Then highlight the bridge of your nose by drawing a thin line from the top of your nose to the ball. Those lines help make your nose look thinner.
- After that, use a fluffy blending brush to smooth harsh lines and soften your makeup look.
- Use the large fluffy brush to sweep some setting powder over your nose and face. Setting powder helps to blend the shades well and absorb any excess oil.
- To create balance and define your features, contour your forehead and cheekbones to make your face look more natural and give you a radiant look.
B. How To Make Your Nose Look Shorter?
- Apply contour powder or matte bronzer to the tip of your nose.
- And apply it also to the curves of your nostrils and blend well with a soft blender brush.
- Then highlight the bridge of your nose only halfway down, This helps to create the illusion of a shorter nose.
C. What To Use To Make A Crooked Nose Look Straighter?
- Draw two straight lines down to the sides of your nose, starting from the inner corner of your eyes to the tip of your nose.
- Ignore the actual shape of your nose as the lines should be as straight as possible to achieve the right look.
- Connect the two straight lines at the bottom between nostrils, forming a shape of a downwards pointing arrow.
- Use a fluffy brush to blend the shades and soften harsh lines.
- Then draw a thin line with your highlighter starting from the center of your brows down to the ball of the nose.
- And add shadow to the sides of your nose near the nostrils and blend.
D. How To Make Your Nose Appear Longer?
- Start by drawing contour lines at the curve of your brow bone going all the way down towards the tip of your nose.
- Use your highlighter to make a line all the way down the bridge of your nose to the tip.
- Apply the line between your brows or a little higher to be parallel with the highest point of your eyebrows, and gently blend the lines well. This helps to make your nose look longer.
How To Make Your Nose Look Smaller Overnight?
The only good answer to this question is to use the makeup techniques I mentioned above the create the illusion of a small nose. Ignore other unhelpful methods like ice, apple cider vinegar, or toothpaste as they will not do a thing. However, they may cause an allergic reaction and make your nose look even bigger.
Need more visual sources to know exactly how to try those brilliant makeup techniques? check out this video:
How Can I Reduce My Nose Size?
You can use different makeup techniques to make your nose smaller, shorter, thinner, longer, and straighter. Also, certain hairstyles can help draw attention away from your nose. But if you wanna change the shape of your nose permanently, you will need surgery.
How Can I Hide My Big Nose?
The easiest and quickest way to hide a big nose is to wear hairstyles that can draw attention from your nose or make it look smaller like bob haircuts and curly and wavy hair. Also, wearing large accessories like sunglasses will help your nose appear smaller.
Can You Make Your Nose Smaller Naturally?
Some tricks like wearing bright lipstick, bob haircuts, face-framing hairstyles, curly hair, and large accessories can effectively distract attention from a big nose.
Can Nose Size Be Decreased?
A plastic surgeon can adjust the cartilage and the bone of your nose which will help decrease the size of your nose.
Why Is My Nose So Big?
Having a big nose is usually genetic so you gotta blame your family for this:). Also, if you had an accident and broke your nose, it would probably end up bigger than before. Other factors can be responsible for having a big nose like aging and trauma.
I think now I give you a clear answer on how to make your nose look smaller naturally. Right? Trying simple tricks can help a lot. You can do anything you like if you used the right techniques.
Having a big nose could attract some rude comments. These comments can make you feel embarrassed and uncomfortable.
But actually, we are all different and everyone has unique facial features. So, accept and value who you are and embrace your uniqueness.
Also, let me know which one of those eight tricks you think is the best and you will definitely try it.