This post was originally published in May 2020. Updated in September 2022.
Curly hair needs more care than other hair types. It’s challenging to keep your curls moisturized and frizz-free. You’ll need to use a lot of hair products to maintain a healthy look. Natural homemade hair masks for curly hair can help detangle and nourish it well.
Also, they don’t contain ingredients that could cause damage to your curls. Homemade hair masks can help restore your naturally curly hair pattern.
Many hair products are amazing and can do wonders for your hair. But DIY hair masks can also keep your hair healthy and add moisture to it. The key is to choose the right ingredients that can benefit your hair type.
Also, there are many expensive hair products on the market that can ruin your hair. These products may also make your hair unmanageable and frizzy. Additionally, you are going to spend a lot of money on these expensive products.
Homemade hair masks can save you loads of money as you can find the ingredients in your kitchen. They help repair your hair and restore its shine. You can also make your own hair conditioner at home to add more shine and luster to your hair, Check out this link.
So here are the 6 best homemade hair masks recipes for your curly hair to keep it defined and healthy:
Homemade Hair Masks For Curly Hair
1- Yogurt Homemade Hair Mask
- One cup of yogurt.
- One ripe banana.
- 2 tablespoons of honey.
- A couple of vitamin E gel capsules.
Mix the ingredients well in a blender then use a strainer with tiny holes to filter the mixture. This helps to avoid getting banana bits stuck in your curls. Then apply the mixture to your hair from root to tips. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 30-40 minutes then shampoo and condition your hair.
This homemade hair mask helps moisturize and detangle your hair:
- Yogurt is full of protein that can promote healthy strong hair. The lactic acid in yogurt helps you to get rid of dead skin cells as it cleanses the scalp. Yogurt can also smooth and moisturize your hair.
- Bananas can soften and nourish your hair as it’s high in vitamins, natural oils, and potassium. Applying bananas to your hair can help reduce breakage. It also adds shine to your hair and keeps your hair manageable.
- Honey is a great moisturizer for dry hair. It can nourish your hair follicles and add shine to them. Also, honey can fight frizz.
- Vitamin E stimulates hair growth and helps maintain scalp health. Also, antioxidants in vitamin E can fight free radicals that cause damage to your hair.
Add to the mixture 2 tablespoons of moringa oil as it helps boost hair health, increase hydration, and smoothen strands.
2- DIY Hair Mask For Defined curls
- Coconut oil can help promote hair growth. It may also protect your hair from sun damage. Coconut has powerful properties that can reduce dandruff. Additionally, coconut reduces frizz and smoothes your hair.
- Apple cider vinegar can nourish your hair and treats dandruff due to its antifungal properties. It can also normalize hair and scalp pH. ACV contains vitamins and minerals that help to cleanse and exfoliate the scalp. So it can strengthen your hair and reduce breakage.
- Honey has antioxidant properties that can improve scalp and hair health. Also, it reduces scalp infections and tames frizz. Honey helps your hair to restore its shine.
3- Aloe Vera Homemade Hair Mask
- One cup of fresh aloe vera gel.
- 3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil.
- One tablespoon of honey.
In a medium bowl, mix the ingredients well then apply the mixture to your hair and scalp. Use a shower cap to cover your hair and leave the mask for 40-60 minutes. Wash it off with shampoo then condition your hair.
- Aloe Vera has powerful properties that can reduce scalp inflammation and irritation. It can also help you get to rid of scalp infections and dandruff. Aloe Vera can boost hair growth and smooth your hair. Additionally, aloe vera can repair heat-damaged hair and chemically-treated hair effectively.
- Olive oil protects your hair from damage and tames frizz. Olive oil helps reduce dandruff and scalp irritation. Also, it can soften your hair and keep it strong and healthy.
- Honey moisturizes your hair and reduces frizz. It can also prevent breakage. Studies showed that honey can relieve scaling and itching. It can also reduce dandruff.
4- Flaxseed Gel Hair Mask
- 1/4 cup of Flaxseed.
- 2 cups of water.
- 3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil.
Pour water into a pot and add Flaxseeds to it. Let the mixture boil for a few minutes and keep stirring with a spoon. The mixture should have a gel-like consistency. Let it cool down then use a strainer to filter the gel. Add the rosemary oil to Flaxseed gel then put it in a container.
Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it for about an hour then wash it off with your shampoo. Finish with conditioner.
- Flaxseeds contain vitamin E that can improve scalp health and promote hair growth. Vitamin E reduces also free radicals damage. Flaxseeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that nourish hair and reduce hair loss. Also, nutrients in Flaxseeds can stimulate hair growth and prevent breakage.
- Rosemary oil reduces premature graying and keeps your hair healthy and strong. Rosemary oil increases circulation in the scalp which boosts hair growth. It can also help you get rid of dandruff and itchiness.
You can add 2-3 tablespoons of ashwagandha powder or ashwagandha oil to this mask for the ultimate results.
5- Avocado Hair Mask
- Avocado is rich in fatty acids and natural oils that help nourish and moisturize your hair. Also, it contains vitamins that can improve scalp health and keep your hair shiny and healthy. Avocados can help prevent breakage and reduce your hair from damage. Moreover, avocados promote hair growth and leave your hair stronger and smoother.
- Coconut milk is rich in vitamins that can fight hair loss and boost healthy hair growth. Coconut can also soothe an itchy and irritated scalp. It conditions your hair and repairs damaged hair.
- Olive oil reduces dandruff and other scalp infections. It can also soften hair and prevent split ends. Olive oil is a great treatment for dry damaged hair.
- Sweet almond oil keeps your hair manageable and reduces frizz. It contains vitamin E, magnesium, and omega-3 that can soften and nourish your hair. Almond oil can also strengthen your hair.
- Honey prevents scalp infections and hair breakage due to its powerful properties. It helps your hair to restore its shine and luster. Honey also moisturizes and softens your hair.
6- Egg And Mayonnaise Hair Mask
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- One egg.
- One tablespoon of almond oil.
- One tablespoon of honey ( optional ).
Mix mayonnaise and egg with almond oil then add honey to the mixture and mix them well. Apply the mask to wet hair and leave it for 30-50 minutes. Then shampoo and condition your hair.
- Mayonnaise could benefit curly and wavy hair due to its effective ingredients. It contains oils, lemon, egg yolk, and vinegar. So it can promote hair growth and smooth frizzy hair. Mayonnaise also strengthens hair and improves your hair health.
- Eggs are packed with vitamins, protein, calcium, iron, omega-3, and zinc. These nutrients help stimulate hair growth and reduce premature graying. Eggs moisturize your hair and cleanse the scalp as they help you get rid of grease and unwanted oils. So eggs keep your hair healthy and prevent split ends.
- Almond oil helps you get rid of frizz and strengthen your hair. Also, it’s an effective treatment for damaged hair.
- Honey leaves your hair and scalp clean and healthy due to its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Honey can also soften your hair.
To avoid irritation or redness, do a skin patch test first to be sure that you’re not allergic to any ingredient of the hair mask.
Homemade hair masks can moisturize and nourish your hair. They are also super cheap and simple. You can easily find the ingredients in your kitchen. Homemade hair masks contain natural ingredients that can help smooth your hair. Also, making your own hair mask at home can save you some money.
Yogurt, banana, avocado, and aloe vera can benefit curly hair and keep it shiny and healthy. Olive oil, coconut oil, and rosemary oil help stimulate hair growth and reduce frizz. These ingredients can add extra volume and definition to your hair. So try out these homemade hair masks and tell us your feedback.