This post was originally published in May 2020. Updated in December 2022.
It’s challenging to keep your curls moisturized, defined, and frizz-free. You’ll need to use a lot of hair products to maintain a healthy look. But making a DIY hair mask for curly hair regularly can really help detangle and nourish curls well.
Homemade hair masks can restore your naturally curly hair pattern and do wonders for your hair. The key here is to choose the right ingredients that can benefit your hair type.
Also, those homemade hair masks can save you loads of money as you can find the ingredients in your kitchen.
So, I brought to you a list of the 6 best homemade hair masks for your curly hair to keep curls smooth and defined.
Let’s get started…
Table of Contents
6 Best DIY Hair Masks For Curly Hair:
1- Yogurt Homemade Hair Mask
- One cup of yogurt.
- One ripe banana.
- 2 tbsp honey.
- A couple of vitamin E gel capsules.
- Mix the ingredients well in a blender.
- Use a strainer with tiny holes to filter the mixture, to avoid getting banana bits stuck in your curls.
- Then, apply the mixture to your hair from roots to tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for 30-40 minutes then shampoo and condition your hair.
This homemade hair mask helps moisturize and detangle your hair as:
- Yogurt is full of protein that can promote healthy strong hair growth. The lactic acid in yogurt helps you to get rid of dead skin cells and cleanse the scalp. Yogurt can also smooth and moisturize your hair.
- Bananas can soften and nourish your hair as it’s high in vitamins, natural oils, and potassium. Applying bananas to your hair can also help reduce breakage, add shine to your hair, and keep it manageable.
- Honey is a great moisturizer for dry hair. It can nourish your hair follicles and fight frizz.
- Vitamin E stimulates hair growth and helps maintain scalp health. Also, antioxidants in vitamin E can fight free radicals that cause damage to your hair.
Add to the mixture 2 tablespoons of moringa oil, it helps boost hair health, increase hydration, and smoothen strands.
2- DIY Hair Mask For Defined curls
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil.
- 1 tbsp honey.
- Combine the ingredients well in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 15-30 minutes then shampoo and condition your hair.
- Coconut oil can help promote hair growth and it may protect your hair from sun damage. Coconut has powerful properties that can reduce dandruff and frizz and soften your hair.
- Apple cider vinegar can nourish your hair and treats dandruff due to its antifungal properties. It can also balance the scalp’s pH level which will reduce frizz, keep hair shiny, and prevent breakage. Plus, ACV contains vitamins and minerals that help to cleanse and exfoliate the scalp.
- Honey has antioxidant properties that can improve scalp and hair health. Also, it reduces scalp infections and tames frizz.
3- Simple Aloe Vera DIY Hair Mask For Curly Hair
- One cup of fresh aloe vera gel.
- 3 tsp virgin olive oil.
- 1 tbsp honey.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ingredients well.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Use a shower cap to cover your hair and leave the mask on for 40-60 minutes. Then, shampoo and condition your hair.
- Aloe Vera has powerful properties that can reduce scalp inflammation and irritation. It can also help you get to rid of scalp infections and dandruff. Aloe Vera can boost hair growth and smooth your hair. Additionally, aloe vera can repair heat-damaged hair and chemically-treated hair effectively.
- Olive oil protects your hair from damage and tames frizz. And it helps reduce dandruff and scalp irritation, soften your hair, and keep it strong and healthy.
- Honey helps restore damaged curly hair and combat dandruff. Plus, Studies showed that honey can relieve scaling and itching.
4- Flaxseed Gel Hair Mask
- 1/4 cup of Flaxseed.
- 2 cups of water.
- 3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Pour the water into a pot and add Flaxseeds to it.
- Let the mixture boil for a few minutes and keep stirring with a spoon. The mixture should have a gel-like consistency.
- Let it cool down then use a strainer to filter the gel.
- After that, add the rosemary oil to the flaxseed gel and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for about an hour, then wash it off with your shampoo and finish with conditioner.
- Flaxseeds contain vitamin E that can improve scalp health, promote hair growth, and reduce free radicals damage. Flaxseeds are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids so they can nourish hair and reduce hair loss. Also, nutrients in Flaxseeds can stimulate hair growth and prevent breakage.
- Rosemary oil reduces premature graying and keeps your hair healthy and strong. Rosemary oil increases also circulation in the scalp which boosts hair growth. And It can help you get rid of dandruff and itching.
You can add 2-3 tablespoons of ashwagandha powder or ashwagandha oil to this mask for the ultimate results.
5- Avocado Homemade Hair Mask For Curly Hair
- 1 1/2 avocado.
- 1/4 cup of organic unsweetened coconut milk.
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil.
- 2-3 tbsp almond oil.
- 2-3 tbsp honey.
- Mix the avocado and coconut milk in the blender.
- Then add the other ingredients to the mixture and combine them well.
- Apply the mask to your hair from roots to tips.
- Wear a shower cap and leave it on for 2-3 hours then rinse your hair.
- Avocado is rich in fatty acids and natural oils that help nourish and moisturize your hair. Also, it contains vitamins that can improve scalp health and keep your hair shiny and healthy. So they can help prevent breakage and reduce hair damage. Plus, avocados promote hair growth and leave your hair stronger and smoother.
- Coconut milk is rich in vitamins that can fight hair loss and boost healthy hair growth. It can also soothe an itchy and irritated scalp, condition your hair, and repair damaged hair.
- Olive oil is a great treatment for dry damaged hair as it can soften hair and prevent split ends. Also, it reduces dandruff and other scalp infections.
- Sweet almond oil keeps your hair manageable and reduces frizz. It’s packed with vitamin E, magnesium, and omega-3 which can soften and nourish your hair and keep it strong.
- Honey prevents scalp infections and hair breakage due to its powerful properties. It helps also restore hair shine and softens strands.
6- Egg And Mayonnaise DIY Hair Mask
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise.
- One egg.
- 1 tbsp almond oil.
- 1 tbsp honey ( optional ).
- Mix mayonnaise and egg with almond oil then add honey and combine well.
- Apply the mask to wet hair and leave it for 30-50 minutes. Then, shampoo and condition your hair.
- Mayonnaise benefits curly and wavy hair due to its effective ingredients. It contains oils, lemon, egg yolk, and vinegar. This means it can promote hair growth, combat frizz, strengthen strands, and improve hair health.
- Eggs are packed with vitamins, protein, calcium, iron, omega-3, and zinc. These nutrients help stimulate hair growth and reduce premature graying. Eggs also moisturize your hair and cleanse the scalp as they remove grease and unwanted oils.
- Almond oil helps you get rid of frizz and strengthen damaged dry hair.
- Honey leaves your hair and scalp clean and healthy due to its antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
To avoid irritation or allergies, do a skin patch test first to be sure that you’re not allergic to any ingredient of the hair masks.
Homemade hair masks for curly hair can moisturize and nourish your hair. The best thing about DIY hair masks is they contain only natural ingredients that can help smooth your hair without damaging it. Also, they will save you money!
Yogurt, banana, avocado, and aloe vera can benefit curly hair and keep it shiny and healthy. Olive oil, coconut oil, and rosemary oil help stimulate hair growth and reduce frizz.
These ingredients can add extra volume and definition to your hair. So try out these homemade hair masks and tell us your feedback.